Dr Denis Fernandes
Dept of History, St Aloysius College (Autonomous)
Mangaluru. Karnataka -575003
E-Mail : email@example.com
Phone No: 0091- 824- 2224250
Mobile No: 0091- 9483909550
Ph. D. (Doctor of Philosophy in History): Mangalore University, 2008.
Title of the Thesis: “The Tulu World in European Writings”.
M.A. (Master of Arts in History): Mangalore University, 1989, 60 %.
1. Minor Research Project by UGC : Completed a Minor Research Project On the topic ‘Christian Responses To Colonialism In South Kanara In The Early Decades Of 20th Century’ sanctioned by UGC between 2014 and 15
2. Ph.D . Guideship: Ph D Guide, Department of History, Kannada University, Hampi – since 2010. 2 Students are awarded PhD degree under my guidance and 2 are pursuing their Ph.D. Studies.
3. M.Phil Guidance: 5 students have completed their M Phil degree under my guidance from Department of History, Kannada University, Hampi.
1. Co edited a Book, “The Devil Worship of the Tuluvas from the Papers of Late A.C. Burnell” under the Publication of Karnataka Tulu Sahitya Academy in 2008.
2. A Chapter on ―ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತ ಧರ್ಮ in the book on ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ಸಾಮಾಜಿಕ ಹಾಗು ಆರ್ಥಿಕ ಚರಿತ್ರೆಯ ಕೆಲವು ನೆಲೆಗಳು, ಸಂಪುಟ -3. published by Kuvempu Bhasha Pradhikara, Bengalore University in 2017
1. ‘Tulu Catechisms and the Problems they Raise’ is published in the Proceedings of the 66th Indian History Congress, 2006
2. Using the Past: Mangalore Magazine and the History of Canara” is published in the Proceedings of the 67th Indian History Congress, 2007.
3. ‘Shepherd and the Flock: Basel Mission Experience in Kanara Published in the Karnataka Journal, Kannada University, Hampi, 2009.
4. ‘Binaries in the European Construction of the Tulu World’ in Al Shodhana – A multi-disciplinary Journal of St Aloysius College, Mangalore, 2013
5. ‘Perception of the Natives in the Basel Mission Writings of 19th Century’ in Al Shodhana , Vol 1 No2. July 2013
6. ‘Christian Responses to Colonialism in Dakshina Kannada’ in the Proceedings of 73 Indian History Congress, Dec 2013
7. ‘Refining and Civilizing the Natives: Basel Mission Education in South Kanara’ in Al Shodhana , St Aloysius College, 2014
8. “ಮಂಗಳೂರ ಕ್ರೈಸ್ತರು ಹಾಗು ರಾಷ್ಟೀಯ ಚಳುವಳಿ”, ಮಂಗಳೂರು ದರ್ಶನ published by District Administration of DK District, May 2016.
1. Ladies First: The story of women’s presence in St Aloysius College, – An article in Aloysia- a Souvenir to mark the 25 years of women’s presence in St Aloysius College, Mangalore, September 2012
2. Contributed three articles for the Kannada Vishwa Kosha- History, published by Kannada University, Hampi.
Papers Presented In Seminars / Conferences / Workshops
1. Presented a paper on ‘Tulu Catechisms and the Problems they Raise’ in Indian History Congress, held at Bareilly (UP) from 28 to 30 December 2004
2. Presented a paper on ‘ Tuluva Religious Practices in the Colonial Discourse’ in the State Level Seminar on the History and Culture of Karnataka held at Mysore on 7-9 January 2005, organised by CAM-KAR Samanvaya Research Institute , Mysore.
3. Presented a paper on “Disciplining the Congregation: The Basel Mission Experience in Canara” in the 68th Indian History Congress held at Calicut in January 2007.
4. Presented a paper on ”Society and the Missionaries in Colonial South Kanara” in Dr. P. Gururaj Bhat Memorial Workshop held in December 2007 at Madhava Pai memorial College, Manipal.
5. Presented a paper on “Koot Rebellion in South Kanara” in the Mangalore University Level Seminar held in October 2007 at Sri Dhavala College, Moodbidri.
6. Presented a paper on “ Destruction of Beliefs: The Basel Mission Education in Canara” in the 68th Indian History Congress held at Delhi in December 2007.
7. Presented a paper on “Binaries in the European Construction of the Tulu World” in the national Seminar held in Mangalore University Campus, Konaje in January 2008
8. Presented a paper on “The Perception of the natives in the writings of the Basel Mission” in the International Seminar held on 9th March 2008 at Kanhangad.
9. Presented a Paper on “Towards Building an Indian Independent Church: The Role of Satyavratha a Protestant Christian Journal in Mangalore” in the 69th Indian History Congress held at Kannur in December 2008.
10.Delivered a Lecture on “Communalism in Modern India” in the History workshop of Pre-University College lecturers in September 2007 at Milagres Pre-University College, Mangalore.
11. Presented a Paper on “Process of Urbanization of Mangalore in the Colonial Context” held in August 2008 at Cross Land College, Brahmavar.
12. Presented a Paper on “Historiography of Colonial Kanara” in the state level seminar held in December 2008 at Mangalore University, Konaje.
13. Presented a Paper on “Challenges to become Indigenous: The Basel Mission Church in India” in the International Consultation to mark the 175th anniversary of the Basel Mission in India in February 2009 at K.T.C., Mangalore.
14. Presented a Paper on “Missionaries and the National Movement in India” in the Seminar held in Besant College, Mangalore in January 2009.
15. Presented a Paper on “Conversion and Continuity: A Historical Perspective” in the Conference held in St Aloysius college, Mangalore in February 2009
16. Presented a research paper titled “Tulunadu and its contact with outside world in the pre- modern period” at Karkal for the State Level Tulu Sahitya Sammelan held in the month of October 2009.
17. Presented a Reply Paper on “The writings and missionary work of Kittel” in the national seminar held at KATHRI, Mangalore in March 2009
18. Presented a Paper on Responses of Kanara Christians to the National Movement in the Early 20th century India in Indian History Congress Session held at Mumbai on 28-30 December 2012.
19. Presented a Research paper on Freedom Struggle and Nation Building: Political Figures among Christians in the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of Chair in Christianity held on 21st November 2012 at Mangalore
20. Presented a paper on Tulu Language and literature in the Colonial period in the Tuluva Aisiri held on December 15-16, 2012 in Mangalore.
21. Presented a Paper on Economic Development of Tulunadu in the Two day National Seminar Organised by Besant Evening College, Mangalore on 12th and 13th March 2013
22. Presented a Paper on Abul Gafar Khan’s ideas on to fight against Communalism in the National Seminar held at Besant Women’s College Mangalore in April 2013
23. Presented a paper on Regional Responses to Colonialism in the National Conference on Social Sciences : Challenges and Perspectives in the 21st Century At Alva’s College Moodbidre on 7th and 8th August 2013
24. Presented a Research Paper on Caste and Religion in Dakshina Kannada after 1947. In the national Seminar in St Aloysius college on 14th and 15th February 2014
25. Presented a Paper on Kudmul Rangarao – Life and Achievements in the Centenary celebration of Kannada Sahitya Parishad organized by DK District Kannada Sahitya Parishad on October 09, 2015 at Shree Sharada College, Mangaluru.
26. Presented a Paper on Historical importance and Re-search in Basel Mission in Karnataka in the International Seminar organized to commemorate Bicentenary Celebration of Basel Mission on October 08, 2015 at Kar-nataka Theological College, Mangaluru.
Guest/Invited Lectures Delivered
1. Delivered a special lecture on “The Revolt of 1857” in July 2007 at Milagres College, Kallianpur.
2. Delivered a guest lecture on “Satyagraha and Gandhi” in connection with the Centinary Celebrations of Satyagraha movement held in August 2008 at Besant Women’s College, Mangalore.
3. Delivered a lecture on ‘Our Heritage- An Urgent need to Preserve it’ at Kukke Subramanya College, Subramanya, in August 2010
4. Gave a talk on ‘Relevance of Gandhi today’ Govt. First Grade College, Kavoor on 2nd October 2010.
5. Presented a research paper on ‘Tulunadu and Foreign Contacts’ at Abbakka Utsava held at Asaigoli on 30th January 2011.
6. Delivered Invited Lecture on Urbnisation of Mangalore in Colonial Period- An Economic Perspective in the P.G. Dept. of Economics, St Aloysius College on 13-9-2012
7. Presented the Working of IQAC in St Aloysius College in the Joint Direcor’s Meeting in Dec 2012
8. Instirutional and Individual Preparation for NAAC Assessment to the teaching and non-teaching staff of Sri Gokarnanatheshwara College, Mangalore on 18th January 2013
9. Invited to give talk on “Higher Educational Facilities for Minorities” in All India Radio Mangalore on 10-9-2013
10. Invited to give Dr P Gururaj Bhat Memorial Endowment Lecture at Milagres College Kallianpur on Christians and National Movement in Coastal Karnataka on Feb 11, 2015
11. Invited Lecture : On “Enhancement & Sustenance of Internal Quality Assurance System” , At Fr Muller‘s Nursing Col-lege, Mangaluru, on May 16, 2015
12. Invited Lecture : On “NAAC Accreditation– Documents to be prepared for display and inspection” , At Besant Evening College, Mangaluru, on June 13, 2015
13. Invited lecture on “Women in the History of India” on September 21, 2015 at Govt. First Grade Womens College, Balmatta Mangalore
14. Resource Person on Formation of IQAC and Preparation for NAAC Accreditation at St Joseph‘s College, Jeppu, Mangaluru on July 8 and July 24 , 2015
15. Resource Person in the Seminar held on September 06, 2015 at Rastrakavi Govind Pai Research Centre at Udupi and gave a talk on History and Folklore
16. Resource Person at Besent Women‘s College Mangaluru on NAAC Preparation and Task before IQAC in the Third Cycle of NAAC Reaccreditation on January 20, 2016.
17. Chief Guest of a book release on Tulu Nada Ithihasa (2nd Century A.D) organized by Karnataka Tulu Sahithya Academy at SVS College Bantwal on August 23, 2015.
18. Resource Person for one day orientation programme on “Institutional Ethos and its implementation in the day today functioning” held for the Teaching Staff of St. Joseph‟s First Grade College, Hassan on January 17, 2017.
19. Moderator for the Technical Session on Seminar hld on Konkani Speaking People of Coastal Karnataka and their Anglo Portuguese Connection on 23-24 Aug 2014 at Besant Evening College
20. Resource Person at Besant Women’s College, Mangalore, for the NAAC Preparation on January 10, 2017
Short-Term Courses Attended
1. Refresher Course in History, 13-3-1996 to 2-4-1996, Academic Staff College, Mangalore University.
2. Orientation Course, Mumbai University from April 5 to 30 at Ratnagiri.
3. Refresher Courses in History- 3-10-2001 to 29-10-2001, Mangalore University.
4. Refresher Course in History from March 16, 2005 to April 6, 2005, Academic Staff College, Bangalore University.
National Seminars / Conferences / Workshops Attended
1. Attended ‘Total Quality Management’ Seminar held at MGM College Udupi in
2. Participated in the seminar on ‘ Quality Concerns in Collegiate Education’ held at St Aloysius College, Mangalore, on March 31,2004.
3. Attended a seminar on ‘Research Materials on the History and Culture of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi Districts’ between 30th November and 1st December 2004, conducted by Karnataka Theological Research Institute, Balmatta, Mangalore 1
4. Participated in the State Level Workshop on “1857 Movement” held in August 2007 at Vivekananda College, Puttur.
5. Attended a Seminar on “Future in Remembrance” organised by the Karnataka Theological Research Institute, Balmatta, in October 2007.
6. A Workshop on Question Bank Preparation in History for the Teachers of Mangalore University in Mangalore in July 2007.
7. Attended a two day national seminar at Fr. Agnel College, Pilar, Goa and presented a research paper on working of IQAC in St. Aloysius College, Mangalore on 8-9, July 2011.
8. Attended a two days workshop on ‘History of Christians in Karnataka in the 19th and 20th centuries- An Exploration’ and presented a research paper on ‘Reassessing Christianity as a Socio-Cultural Movement- Historical Perspective’ on 26th and 27th July 2011 at KTC, Balmatta, Mangalore.
9. Attended an international seminar on commemorating Dr. Herman Moegling’s Bicentenary and presented a paper on ‘Moegling’s Journey from Mangalore to Subramanya’ on 18th and 19th August 2011 at KTC, Balmatta, Mangalore.
10. Attended a national level seminar on ‘New Initiatives on Higher Education’ organised by AIFUCTO, at Kanyakumari, Tamilnadu from 20th to 22nd October 2011.
11. Particiapated in the 73rd Indian History Congress held at Mumbai University on 28-30 December 2012
12. Attended a Work Shop on Philosophies of Ph D organised by College for Leadership and human Resource Development, Mangalore on November 1, 2012
13. Attended a national workshop on Inclusive Growth concept and Reality organised by the P.G Dept of Economics, St Aloysius College, Mangalore on 27 March 2012
14. Attended a three day Seminar on Participatory Administration in the Institution under JESCOL at Ashirvad, Bangalore on 23 to 25 September 2013
15. Attended a Seminar on “Excellence in Jesuit Higher Education organized by Karnataka Jesuit Province on November 14-15, 2014.
1. Editor, SAC- IQAC Bulletin, St Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangalore since 2015
2. Editor, AMUCT Bulletin and Website from 2012 to 2016
3. Edited the 27th AIFUCTO Statutory Conference Souvenir, November, 2014
4. Edited ‘Seminar Disquisition’ of the National Seminar on Changing Paradigms of Higher Education-XII Plan initiative held on Dec 1, 2013
Leadership Positions Held At The University Level
General Secretary, Association of Mangalore University College Teachers ( R) – AMUCT from 2010-2012
1. Master Trainer for General Elections (Parliamentary , State and City Corporation Elections)
2. Appointed as Master Trainer to train enumerators of National Population Register (NPR) 2011
3. Appointed as Resource Person train enumerators for Justice A. J. Sadashiva Enquiry Commission’s Survey of SC and ST Families in Karnataka -2011
4. Appointed as Master Trainer train enumerators of General Census of India 2011.
1. Member of the Committee for Evaluation of Jesuit Colleges in Karnataka and submitted a report on the status of the colleges in August 2015
2. Member of the Academic Audit Committee of Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru- conducted the Academic Audit on March 1&2, 2016
3. External member of IQAC, Fr Muller Nursing College, Mangaluru and
4. External member of IQAC, Nitte Usha Institute of Nursing Sciences, Deralakatte.
Membership of Academic Bodies
1. Member: Indian History Congress.
2. Member: Mangalore University History Association.