The Department began its journey in 2007 offering analytical chemistry as a specialized subject. Being thoroughly grounded, the Department was well poised to take off on a new venture into chemistry. The department has thus started a new Post-Graduate program, General chemistry in the academic year 2012-13.
The department offers a research program leading to Ph.D. in Chemistry (which includes organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical and analytical chemistry).
All the students who have completed masters from our department are either placed in reputed industries or in educational institutes. Some are pursuing their research in TIFR, CECRI, NITK, IIT’s and Universities.
- Analytical chemistry since 2007
- General chemistry since 2012
Intake for each course – 30
Candidates who have passed the three year B.Sc. degree examination of Mangalore University or any other University considered as equivalent thereto with Chemistry as optional/major/special subject with a minimum of 45% (40% for SC/ST/Category-I candidates) marks in the subject are eligible for the programme provided they have studied Physics and Mathematics as optional /major /special/minor/subsidiary subjects either at B.Sc. or at P.U.C./Higher Secondary level.
Research and development:
The department has been approved as research centre affiliated to Tumkur University. The following members are the research guides:
- Dr.Richard Gonsalves
- Dr. Ronald Nazareth
Projects Sanctioned in 2012-13:
- Separation, characterization and biological studies on phytochemicals present in Millingtonia and Hortensis.
- Microwave assisted synthesis of heterocyclic compounds of Nitrogen and Sulphur – A green approach.
- Impact of Industrialization on the fertility of soil.
Reputed companies such as Apotex India Ltd, Syngene International, Biocon, Sequent Scientific, BASF India Pvt. Ltd., Cipla, Astra Geneca have visited the College for campus
- The major lab facilities under the department are listed below.
- Conventional Laboratories: Potentiometers, Conductometers, pH meters, Colorimeters, Refractometers, Viscometers, Hot air driers, Polarimeters, GM-counter etc.
- Instrumental and Research Laboratory: UV-Visible Spectro-photometer, Fluorimetry, IR Spectrophotometer, DC polarograph, Electrochemical work station.
- General chemistry Laboratory: Refrigerator, Vacuum Pumps, MP apparatus, Rotary evaporator, Heating mantles, Magnetic stirrers and filtration sets, Hot Plates, Titration set up, Hot air Ovens, Distilled water plant, Mechanical stirrers, Thermostats, Electronic digital balance, etc.
Department has its own library containing books on all specializations under chemistry. These books can be issued to the students too.